Collective names for musicians

On Radio 3 the other week there was a piece for a large group of cellos and the announcer asked if anyone knew the collective term for massed cellos. This got me thinking what would it be..these are my ideas for groups of:-
Cello- a heaving
Flutes-A fluttering
(beginner) descant recorders- a squabble
Bassoons- A chortle
Saxophones- a smoothness
Clarinets- a confuddle
Brass players- a blast

Any other ideas..?


Have to say I think 'smoothness' is a bit too complimentary for some saxophonists I know. How about a 'smoosh'?


Smooch is good!

MeadstheSax (not verified)

A bouquetof Bassoons

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This is to prove that you are a real, live, flute-playing person and not a computer trying to trick us.
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Join Flutewise

If you love playing your flute you really should join Flutewise and enjoy our website and have the opportunity to attend our events. You also have the option of receiving our new Flutewise book and termly newsletters. Flutewise will help you be a better, more informed and happier flute player. Join Flutewise today.